Friday, July 10, 2009

Interview - Ransom Noble

Welcome to my first interview. Hopefully it will be the first of many.

The Author - Ransom Noble
The Book - The Art of Science



Now on to the interview.



Dawn: I don't have too many questions so this shouldn't take too long


Ransom Noble: :-)


Dawn: The first question is a general one about writing.


Ransom Noble: ok


Dawn: Have you always wanted to write a book?


Ransom Noble: Yes. I always thought I'd be an author if I could. I love to write.


Dawn: Nice. How long have you been writing?


Ransom Noble: I started making up stories before I could write. I remember getting picked to be in a collection in 5th grade. I don't remember what it was. In high school I wrote poetry, then in college I switched back to stories.


Dawn: What inspired you to write The Art of Science?


Ransom Noble: It started with a class through the Institute of Children's Literature. I worked hard with my mentor to figure out something sale-able and also that I had enough interest to keep writing to the end. This was the result.


Dawn: How long did it take you from starting to reach a submittable draft?


Ransom Noble: I'm not exactly sure. I had the rough draft completed in about 9 months. Then I put it away for 5 years and didn't look at it again. When Vivian talked about her contest with 4RV Publishing, I took it out and sent it to a friend to look over to help me make it ready. That took another month or so, but it was with really fresh eyes.


Dawn: Okay, back to general. Do you find that you focus more on character or plot when writing?


Ransom Noble: I'm not sure that I focus more on one or the other. Probably plot.


Dawn: Was there anything about the publication process that surprised you?


Ransom Noble: I think there were just a lot of things I didn't know. Getting to the contract seems like the first step now, where before I thought that was most of it. Now there's promotion!


Dawn: One last question. What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a writer?


Ransom Noble: It isn't about wanting to be a writer. Anyone can be a writer- writers write. There isn't a bad reason to do it - for publication or just fun, but if you don't write, you can't call yourself a writer.


Ransom Noble: Just my opinion, of course. If you want to be published, keep trying.




Ransom Noble also has a great blog: http://ransomnoble.wordpress.com/

0 comments: