Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Editing is

Slow.


It might just be the method I am using but so far, editing has taken a long long time. I have only been doing notes (highlighting and commenting) on things that need fixed but it takes over an hour for each chapter. I'm on the notes for chapter 27 of 35. I started in February, then took some time away to work on something else. I picked up the pace a week ago and have made a lot of progress since then but still. And I have a whole other novel to start editing notes for since I want to technically submit that one first.

I am trying to make a few decisions. First one: after this long edit is done, what will I do next? I probably need to read over the novel and find places to add descriptions since I rarely describe... anything. But do I want to do that first, or send to a beta reader and see what they would like described more? hmmm  And at what point do I submit to a few agents? 

Not sure at this point but even though it's so slow, I do almost feel like I'm getting closer. At least I'm past the first draft stage on more than one novel and that counts for something.



How are you doing?
Is your progress slower than you expected?
Do you have an easier editing method I can try?

7 comments:

Denise Covey said...

I don't think there's an easier way, unless you send your work out to others and let them do the hard work, but then it's not your own. I think you have to just suck it up Dawn.

Hope the move went well.

Denise

Tara Tyler said...

editing is a drag!
you know what you said is good, yet have to say it better
you second guess everything
you realize you need to add or replace a whole chapter!
it's not as thrilling as the first draft because you know what happens.

and you never know when you're done!

slow. but worth it! hang in there =)

Stephanie said...

I'm not sure there's an easier way, I think you just get quicker as you gain more writing experience. I personally love editing and revision. It's my favorite part.

I use the Holly Lisle How To Revise Your Novel Course, with a few tweaks to suit my own style. It took me seven months to run my novel through. She strongly recommends going at your own pace, whether it takes you one month, six months or a year. Better to do it in a way that feels right for you. Listen to your gut on this one.

Good luck.

Dawn Embers said...

Denise - Thanks Denise. I'm making my way through, slow but sure.

Tara Tyler - True, there is some second guessing. Is this paragraph necessary, is it strong enough, why do I use that word so many times.... and so on. Good point.

Stephanie - I am not sure how I feel yet on the overall process. Though I do find it easier to edit when I don't have internet than write for some reason. Thanks.

Unknown said...

I totally empathise. Since you are wanting to submit one, work on it first. You can always divide your time, a few hours on the one you want to submit and and hour or two on the other one. Hang in there.
love, LinnAnn Pike

http://linnannpike.blogspot.com

Dawn Embers said...

LinnAnn - Thanks for the comment. That is true, about the dividing time. Good idea.

Chippy said...

I'm actually managing to keep up for a change (this time last year I was 5000 words behind).

Stopping by on the Post A To Z Road Trip :)

Chippy