Saturday, May 2, 2009

The Vocab Question

The first day of picture book writing week went well. I wrote "Flowers For Mom" yesterday. While writing it I came across an interesting issue. Towards the beginning of the story I had an issue of a word. I wanted to use the word "bouquet" but wasn't sure if it would be too difficult of a word.

Vocabulary is a good question when writing for children.

I asked a friend on writing.com about the word. She has a children's book published which is why I figured she would know the answer. And the verdict was; okay. It is a good idea to put in a couple of new words for children, especially if it might be a story that is read aloud. Just don't go overboard with the difficult words.


Today I am writing Hazel & Lilly. It's a story about a girl and her new imaginary friend.

0 comments: