Make sure to check what the publisher requires in a submission. A few things to check for:
1. Word Count or Line Count requirements
2. Email submissions allowed or not
3. Do they want a cover letter with it or no
4. Are multiple submission accepted (more than one by the author to the same location)
5. Do they allow simultaneous submissions (meaning same story to different publishers)
6. Are they even accepting submissions at that time. (not all will be)
There are so many reasons a publisher can reject a story. By making sure to follow their requirements that at least gets your story into there hands and gives it a shot. Because if their rules aren't followed there is little chance the story/poems/etc will even be considered. It pays to pay attention.