Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blog or Web Site



I have a blog. Oh, right, you know that. And it's more like 4 blogs because I'm cool (or nerdy) like that. But I don't have a Web site, yet. Why don't I have a web site? because I don't get along with technology. I don't know how to make my blog have pages, though someone just told me over email so I'm going to give it a try on my blogs soon. I actually might get a site soon but it's because a wonderful friend has offered to make one for me. But I thought this would be a good topic. What's the difference between having a blog and a web site and why have either one?


Blogs

A blog has a few functions. For some, it is like a journal or diary but online. It comes from the combination of two words, Web and log. Basically it is a Web site (ooo, lookie) that consists of posts written in a chronological order (meaning they show in the order of date they are posted) written by someone or a computer (when technology takes over society). They can have many different formats and themes, depending on what the creator wants to have on their blog.

Why have a blog?
There are a few reasons to have a blog. Writers have blogs in part to get out some of the craziness in their heads for other people to read and the other is to build up readers for when and during books get published. It's a great way to get friends with others in the industry, as well. Other types of blog have their own reasons for existing but we'll stick with us writers for this. Writing blogs are awesome and there are so many different ones out there.

I love my blogs. I talk about writing in general, my own writing, write posts from characters' point of view and soon will be posting book reviews. It's great, though a little time consuming.


Web sites

A web site is simply a page on the internet that is used for a number of reasons. There are free web sites and pay for types, both with their advantages and disadvantages. Some of the blog web sites also allow for a person to buy their domain, which turns their blog into a personal web site. They can include blogs but also will have steady pages that show information like travel schedule for conferences, current works in progress, and often biographies.

Why have a web site?
Some of the reasons for a blog and web site are the same. They have give the writer/author person an online presence for others to find. It helps keep people updated on different novels, and when published will be of good use. There is often the ability to provide contact information for those that are willing to let fans know that information.

I don't have one yet but I might in the future.


What about you: Blog or Web site? Both?
Which do you prefer?

10 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

I have a blog (obviously) but no website yet. I am hoping to have on up and running soon though. I think it's a good idea to have both.

Unknown said...

I have a blog (or rather, blogs) but no website (yet). I guess I'll get around to that as soon as I figure out how on earth to get one.

Unknown said...

I have a website: clarissadraper.com but currently it goes to my blog. I prefer blogs to websites because it's a way to get closer to the author. But, that's just my opinion.
CD

Michelle D. Argyle said...

This is a great, informative post, thank you! I have both, and they are interconnected. It works really well so far. :)

Dawn Embers said...

Interesting. Those that don't have a web site all put (yet) with it.

Thanks for responding. :-D

Denise Covey said...

Now that blogs are so great I don't see the need for a website but I might change my mind. Interesting what Clarissa said.

BTW Dawn, like the look of your latest blog - RAD! Looking good!

Denise Covey said...

Oh, and I hope you'll pay a visit to the Publication Party. It's started! Come by!

Dawn Embers said...

L'Aussie - :-D Thanks. Blogs are kind of like personal web pages in many ways.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi! *waving*

I have a blog only. I have more than one blog. Like you. *grin*

I want my very own website once I'm published. It gives it a personal touch, like a calling card.

What has me wonder about this is if my name will still be available by the time I'm published? As of now, I can NOT afford the fee.

*Sigh*

Have a great weekend, thanks for visiting my blog!!!

~Elizabeth :)

Dawn Embers said...

Elizabeth - *waves* :-D Ah, the web site name dilemma. Some people I've heard get the site just so they can make sure they get their name before anyone else takes it. I hope yours is still available when you do get a web site going.