Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is for NaNoWriMo

I have spoken about this even before but not during April, so figured this year I'd do that for N. It's a big deal and counts as two N's since it's during November. For those that don't know what I mean: November is National Novel Writing Month, where people spend the whole month trying to write 50,000 words of a novel in that month.

Some people don't like the event, which is fine. It's not for everyone. And it's not for perfect drafts. It's a rough rough first draft that gets written in 30 days or less. The goal of the month isn't to publish a book any time soon really. The entire purpose, if you read the web site (http://www.nanowrimo.org/), is to get people to write. So many say they would like to write a novel some day, and NaNoWriMo gives the time to get that novel out. Sure, it's a very rough draft but accomplishing that finished first draft is a great first step in this process.

I have quite the history when it comes to NaNoWriMo.

1st attempt = 2006
Wrote only a couple thousand words and gave up part way through the month. I'd never written anything more than short stories at this point.

2007 = YA novel attempt
Made it to a grand ol' 14,000 words during November. Then again when I got around to finishing the first draft it was only 23,000 words long so it wouldn't have made the 50,000 words for the challenge.

1st success = 2008
 Made it to 50,000 words of a novel on a romance/erotica. Never expected to write anything that was either romance or erotic and yet it worked out. I haven't rewritten that one at this point, it may say a trunk novel as it was a good experience but not something I see workable for now.

2010 = after year break, attempting again.
50,000 words in 15 days on an epic fantasy novel. Quit after making it to the goal of the challenge. The first draft still isn't finished. I want to finish it some day though.

2011 = attempted 2 novels
Wrote a total of 125,000 words between the two novels. One was a bit over 99,000 (a romance erotica) and the other was a bit under 25,000 words (young adult). And it felt so crazy and yet was fun. The romance novel was longer than planned and the first draft is done but needs rewritten. The young adult one isn't even half way done yet and I hope to finish the first draft some day.

2012 = crazy
Yeah, I didn't expect this time to go as well. I figured my one novel (it was one novel at the start) was going to be maybe 90,000 words long. And I didn't have the greatest history with young adult stories, though I did well with the epic fantasy. However, I ended up writing 165,000 words in November last year. I couldn't believe it either, while starting a new job. It was insane. And crazy part, novel isn't done yet. I just have the ending to write though. When I rewrite this one, I'm separating it into 2 books, and need to worldbuild first.


So, if you can't tell. I love NaNoWriMo because it helps me get that pesky first draft written. And I don't ever just throw them out right after that draft is done. It takes me years to get a novel ready. In fact, I'm currently editing the book from 2007. The second draft was 50k and with this edit, it will be over 60k and that makes me happy.

Will I take part in NaNoWriMo in November? Yeah. It would take a lot for me to not take part. As for what I will write, that I don't know yet. I will try to decide in September or October.


Ever take part in NaNoWriMo?
Will you this year?


5 comments:

Megan said...

I've never attempted this- maybe I will this year in november.

Anonymous said...

I've never done NaNoWriMo; A - Z is my first challenge of its kind. So maybe...who knows...since I've got a novel to finish.

Susan Kane said...

Never have participated in this. I admire greatly those who do, but it is not in my hand of cards.

Dawn Embers said...

Megan - It's a crazy decision but fun. If you decide to give it a go, good luck.

myriteofpassage - This blog challenge is a hectic one. It's a good start too though.

Susan Kane - It's okay. The activity is not for everyone. It's good that you are okay with others doing it at least. I don't mind some not liking it, as long as they don't put down those that do.

ekta khetan said...

I wanted to participate but missed this time and when I re discovered, it was late :(